Tuesday 31 July 2012

Something fishy afoot

So as far as I can see, this paleo thing is here for good. Ive never felt better, never eaten better, and never been stronger.

Ive eaten some delicious things this past couple of weeks. Theres been steak (as usual). This morning I had a nosebleed and my instant after thought was 'I should eat some steak to reboost my iron'. Like anyone needa an excuse for eating steak. Last time I made it I had it with roast veg, and it was delicious. And once every fortnight (or so) isnt too bad for a steak fix.






Ive also been experimenting a little more baking with paleo style ingredients. Its not something I do all the time, as eating cake everyday, even if it does count as paleo, is not a good idea for anyone. However, I decided to make some chocolate banana brownies. I played fast and loose with the ingredients, I didnt measure anything really, I just threw in around 100g ground almonds, 2 mashed bananas, 1 good squeeze of honey, some vanilla paste, 2 eggs, some 90% cocoa chocolate melted with a little coconut oil, and a tablespoon of green and blacks cocoa.
They were really sweet, and though I only ate one, everyone else seemed to really enjoy them. They were very rich and people were impressed at how tasty they were, despite the lack of sugar.



We've had some beautiful weather lately, which has made it ideal salad eating time. Last week I ate lunch outside every day, which is my favourite place to eat lunch. Ive had pretty much the same thing everyday....salad with chicken and guacamole.






Even having to eat it inside today, it was wonderful.

On Friday I made fish in a puttanesca style sauce. I got hold of some plaice (I really wanted more coley, but the market was closed by the time I got home) and made a sauce using tomatos, garlic, anchovies, olives and capers. It was really yummy. I served it with some sliced fried potato.



On Saturday we went out for dinner to Tonic. Tonic is one of my favourite restaurants in Nottingham (http://www.tonic-online.co.uk/tonicflash.html). Though I'd decided to have Saturday designated as my non-paleo day if I wanted one, I havent really indulged much so far. This week I had a dairy dessert, otherwise Ive stayed pretty on track.
The food there is always amazing, its one of those menus where you want to eat everything. To start I had mackeral fillet and my partner had the scallops with black pudding. Both were great, and it was nice to have mackeral in a restaurant, as I havent seen it many places.
For main my partner had pork with butternut squash. The pork was cooked perfectly, and was so juicy. The different types of squash with it were also delightful.
I had lamb rump with garlic mash and spinach. It was heavenly, the lamb was so pink and the mash was smooth and creamy. It was amazing. For dessert I had tonka bean brulee with blueberry and lavender  compote. It was seriously good. Creme brulee is my favourite dessert, and it certainly hit the spot. Overall the meal was lovely, the staff were excellent as ever, and the food was presented beautifully. Apparently the've had a recent change in the chef and I have to say, they've maintained standards, it was fab.




Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment